

April was an incredibly hard month.. It started out so wonderfully.. with Easter and remembering our Savior and Brother, Jesus Christ. Then the unimaginable happened.
My parents,Gary and Gayle Lee, left to go to Tonga on a humanitarian mission with 23 nursing students. It was a planned trip that has happened 2 other times. My father served his mission among the Tongan people. He loved that place and wanted to take my mother there for years. Being an instructor at BYUI, She was able to take students there and make a huge difference. This trip was different in that I was able to take them to the airport. Usually, I was working but since becoming a stay at home mom I was able to take them to the airport. I gave them both hugs and kisses and told them I loved them and to be safe and I drove off. Little did I know at that time what would happen.
We had just returned from taking Isaiah to his 2nd soccer game and had put the three kids to bed when my Stake President and Bishop were at my door. They asked me if I had heard from my mother. I stated no but I wasn't expecting to. They then told me she was in a serious accident in Tonga and to see if I could contact them. Tonga is such a third world country that it was hard to get in touch with anyone.
After they left Ted and I made some phone calls and found out that yes she was in a serious accident in my mind I thought a broken leg, etc. However, it was then that we found out that she was on a sightseeing tour in and stopped at an amazing land bridge in Tonga. She was out of the bus first with a few other students and they went to the edge of this 15o foot cliff. She discovered it was safe and was motioning to the students to go down this pathway for a better view when the ground gave way and she fell. She passed away and was not able to be recovered. It was a shock to me, my family, and my sisters. Since I was the one of two to find out in the family I had the hardest job ever. Telling my sisters, my grandfather, my brother, and extended family what happened. I was so worried about my father, the nurses, my family, and well me.
We had a memorial and my father was able to return. We miss her and love her deeply. There is not a day that goes by that my kids don't ask where Grandma Lee is.
It has been so hard. People ask what they can do. I reply that I really don't know. The ward was wonderful. They opened their arms and hearts and have stepped up. I will be eternally greatful. It is still very hard and it will be for a long time!
I know that I will be able to see my mom again. I know that this is possible through the atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Until then it is up to me to be the best mother, sister, wife, and daughter that I can be. So you see April was a bitter sweet month to me!
1 comment:
Gwen---You've been in my thoughts, prayers, and heart a lot lately. Right before we moved to Washington your sister cleaned my teeth. It was then when I found out about your mom. I wanted to call, send a card, do something to let you know of my love for you. When we were in school together my mom realized who you were related to. She always has said what an amazing woman your mother is. She loved and respected your mom so much, she wanted her to come work at Madison Women's Clinic with her. :) I'm so sorry for your loss. If there is ever anything I can do, please let me know. Thank you for sharing your amazing testimony with the world. I'm sure it was very painful to share your sorrows, but it helps the rest of us prioritize our lives and realize the things that are really important. LOVE YOU!!!!
Post a Comment